Friday, June 24, 2016

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Let's talk CHICKEN, shall we?

I'm constantly looking for good chicken recipes.  It took me probably a solid 7 years of our marriage to learn how to STOP cooking chicken to a rock form.  You know, the type of chicken you have to get a chain saw out to cut it.  I was terrified of UNDER cooking my chicken and making my whole family sick.  As a matter of fact, one Christmas, my mom wrapped a simple meat thermometer, watched me open it, looked me square in the eye and said, "PLEASE use this".  

That same Christmas my mom also gave all of her little chitlens a priceless recipe book.   One that she made with all of our favorite recipes from growing up and into adulthood.  She was a sly one in making this book! We all love it and when I don't know what to cook, I usually go to this book. 

  

So, in honor of our upcoming trip to the good ol' South to spend time with the fam, and for the fact that I no longer cook chicken until it is all but a brick, I want to share this very yummy, kid approved, adult approved, chicken recipe. 

ENTER: Captain Crunch Chicken Fingers.  

This is one of my most favorite recipes my mom made while growing up.  When my mom made it, I had no trouble coming down to the dinner table.  And don't we ALL know, in this day and age, coming together for dinner isn't always easy, but it's needed more than ever! 

To start, you actually need TWO cereals for this recipe; Captain Crunch and Corn Flakes.  

Put 2 cups of Captain Crunch and 1 and a half cup of corn flakes in a gallon size Ziplock bag.  Beat the crazy out of the two cereals.  I used a rolling pin; this is an incredible way to get out some aggression! 


Beat 1 egg and 1 cup of milk in a bowl and set aside.  

Mix together the following: 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of onion powder, and 1/2 tsp of black pepper.  


Take raw chicken tenders (I bought a couple of packages) and dredge each chicken tender in the flour shaking off excess, dip in the egg mixture next, and drop in the cereal bag.  



When the bag is full, get a good arm workout in and SHAKE.  

**I put about 3 chicken fingers in the bag each time I shook, I wanted to make sure the tenders get good and covered with the cereal.  Putting too much chicken in the bag won't cover them as well.**

In a large skillet, pour a layer of oil (I used vegetable oil) and bring to a simmer.  Drop coated chicken into the hot oil and fry until done and no longer pink in the middle.  About 3-5 minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces.  



What's funny here, is that my mom, in the recipe book specifically said, "MAKE SURE THEY'RE DONE."  I wonder where my small fear of undercooked chicken came from? Any guesses?  Love you, mom. 

Serve with Creole Mustard as the dipping sauce.  When using the mustard as a dipping sauce, it is  the perfect combo of a little sweet from the chicken with a little spicy from the creole.  

These can also be baked in the oven at 375 degrees instead of frying.  Place on a greased baking sheet, turning once. Cook until done. 

What I love about this recipe is that you can put various sides with it. Mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, asparagus, and more.  It goes with about everything.  

And there you go.  A dinner fit for all!  Here's a recipe card for you, too.  Pin it to save it! 

Enjoy! 



No comments :

Post a Comment