Saturday, July 30, 2016

5 Reasons Adults Should Keep Dreaming

Out of the 15 seasons of American Idol, only one winner went past the 29 year old mark.  Season 14, the winner was 30.  Whew!  Over the hill, much?!?

Obviously, I am a huge fan of kids.  I am an elementary teacher, for goodness sakes.   I love young kids; they literally have the world at their fingertips.  They can choose whatever they want to be, how they want to make a difference; their brains are so open and ready for creativity! Watching kids learn and think are one of my most favorite things.  They are our future generation and the ones that will end up running the world one day when we're REALLY over the hill.  They have the potential to change the world.

And so do we.

"WE" being the adults in the world.  We are living in a society surrounded by the 15, 16, and 17 year olds that succeed on the main stage by furiously following their dreams.  While we should absolutely and 100% support and applaud them, we cannot count ourselves out of the game.

My Coach and I were sitting in church recently and the youth pastor was talking about some new developments and visions within the youth.  He had sectioned off the groups by ages; I don't remember the exact titles he had for each group, but basically you have the young ones, the teenagers, then the millennial generation somewhat paired with the young adults with young kids.  After that I somewhat tuned out because all I heard was the ceiling:  30 or 32 I think?? 34?? I can't even remember the cutoff! All I DO remember is that I wasn't within the limit!

I thought for a split second that there was a mistake or maybe I wasn't understanding correctly.  No joke.  Dead serious here, I had to sit and think a minute.  I scanned the people there and looked for that distinction.  Where were the young adults?  And where were the older ones? Which one was I a part of? And then, it dawned on me.  Have I really turned the curve from young adult into midlifehood? Is that what you call it? Am I mid-lifer? What group am I in?  The mid-life crisis people? No thanks.

Whatever group I am currently linked to, in the pattern of me being completely honest, I have caught myself in the recent past saying in response to my own thoughts, "Well, it's okay..that's just how it is."  OR…"Well, my time is over in that department, I need to 'adult' and grow up," and so on.   You know what I'm talking about. You know those thoughts whether you want to admit it or not.

I'm having trouble with that whole entire mindset.  I'm a wife.  I'm a mom.  I'm a teacher. I wear a lot of hats.  I try to manage all of those hats to the absolute best of my ability.

But, here's the thing, I'm not here to only manage them.  God does not want me to merely manage life.  And to add, I'm also not gone off of this Earth, so why in the WORLD would I let any dream that I had when I was 15, 18, 21, 23…die off just because I am no longer in the young adults club?

I just finished the book "IF" by Mark Batterson.  It is stinkin' amazing.  The way Mark Batterson writes is right up my alley.  In coach's wife fashion, I will explain; he throws plenty of fastballs and change ups, but then will throw you a curveball that makes you stop in your reading tracks.  It's a little leadership, a little motivation, a little bit real-life stuff, all weaved in and based in Scripture.  Romans 8, to be exact.



He talks about failures…he talks about redemption…he talks about blooming where you are planted.  It's not a feel-good book on dreaming big and wishing upon a star.  Oh no.  I look at it as a training book on your mindset, trusting God, and remembering that "IF" God is for us, then who can be against us??

One line he writes that I want everyone who thinks their time is over to hear: "It's never too late to become who you might have been."

PERIOD.

Why should adults keep dreaming?  I've got some reasons on why you should...



1. Our Kids Are Watching.
Do I really need to say more?  If not anything else, I want my own children to be inspired by me!  In no way shape or form do I want my children to believe that at a certain point, life is about predictability, being stressed, paying bills, and living life mundane because their 'time' is over.  I mean, yes, life is busy, there are schedules to maintain, and responsibility is obviously something they should never disregard; however, we can absolutely show them that having goals and dreaming big can be paired very well with the responsibilities of being an adult.  After all, we raise our kids by how we live. 

2. You're Alive. 
If you are reading this, you are still here. And by you being HERE, means God has so much more left in store for you.  What is it?  What is that? Is it to go through the daily grind? Wake up, do life, go to bed? No way.

3. Kingdom Work. 
That talent?  That urge in your belly?  That one thing that inspires you and makes your heart beat faster?  It's God's.  And it is made to move forcefully in and for His Kingdom.   The impact that you have, is just as powerful as the impact a young child has with wild and crazy dreams.  We just aren't as apt to go for it.  We aren't elementary, middle, or high school students.  But that urge and that tick, is still there for a reason.  Do you think that's a coincidence?

4. Protecting Your Identity
The enemy wants to come in and tell you as many lies as possible to derail you from that one step forward into what God has created you to be.  He wants to persuade you with all the his might to get you second guessing your potential.  He would love nothing more than to make you feel like you are too old to accomplish anything worthwhile.  As a matter of fact, he wants to "steal, kill, and destroy" (John 10:10).  He will feed you everything and anything to destroy your dreams.  Don't let him.  Protect your identity.  Hold your thoughts captive and dedicate them to The Lord.

5.  For Others 
Why do people dream and want to be successful?  I want to hope and say that human nature's priority, when it comes to dreams, isn't to become rich and powerful, but to make a positive impact on others.  Others being impacted by what you have accomplished and the footprint you leave on society is why we dream.  Seeing people's lives changed by your story, from all your efforts, sweat, and tears, is what people long for; there's nothing better.   It is more fulfilling than the dollars in the bank and the status and title on a piece of paper.  I believe that God purposely designed us that way.


I've got many goals and dreams that are written in a journal, and I have a rule of following 3 prerequisite questions to make sure they are God-sized dreams and goals.  Do they align with Scripture?  Is it good for my family?  Will it advance His Kingdom?  If the answer is yes, I keep on truckin'.  While not all have been reached, and while I have failed miserably with several and flat on my face with some, I won't stop or give up on those goals and dreams.  I don't want society telling me I'm too old, past my prime, or have not the ability to follow through.  We would call that a non-truth, friends. We can count on Philippians 1:6 to prove that thought process wrong: "being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

35, 40, 65, or 80.  Whatever the age, I choose to keep on dreaming and leave it all on the field for the glory of Him who has created me.

Be Blessed my dear friends, and keep on dreaming.










No comments :

Post a Comment